Friday, June 19, 2015

Ice Sphere

So I have a new obsession in my life.  Ice Balls!!!

What are these wonderful things you ask? They are just as they say they're a ball of ice.  

How did I find these wonderful little spheres?  Well I was asked to try them and then review them from Amazon.  So far I have received 2 different kinds of ice ball makers.  I'm going to break them down and compare them for you here.


Pros:
    1. You can make 6 balls at once. 
    2. They freeze quickly.
    3. Made of silicone so that you can maneuver the mold in ways to help break up the ice.
    4. They last longer in drinks so that you don't get that watered down pop as fast as with the cubes.
    5. They fit into my water bottle.

Cons:
    1. They are a little hard to fill up until you get the hang of it.
    2. The balls aren't perfectly round.  They have an edge on them from the mold.  
  I don't really care that the edge is there it still keeps my drink cold either way. 

Filling up the tray:
1. Fill the bottom tray about half-way up the sides.  This will ensure that each ball is full.


2. Place the lid on the mold.

 3.  Snap the lid on to each ball.  I start on the outside and work my way in.  This helps move the water into the molds.  You can actually feel the mold pop together.  Remember that water expands when it freezes so you don't need to have them filled all the way up.  As the water expands it fills the orbs.  That's what the holes are for on the mold, to let the water escape.

4. Put them in the freezer and let them freeze.
5. After they're frozen pull them out and twist. As you can see from the pictures below the water came out of the holes and into the top of the mold.  That's fine it's easy to get rid of.  I just dump it in my ice bucket to use.  Being silicone the mold is flexible and easy to pop the balls out of.  If they stick just push from the top and turn the mold inside out.



6. Enjoy!  



The second one I received is this one:

iPerfect Kitchen Sphere Ice Mold - Premium Silicone Ice Ball Maker - Set of 2 X 2.5" Molds



Pros:
    1. The balls are bigger and can be used for more things.  One idea I had was to put little toys in them to freeze for a sensory toy.  I found this idea the other day on Pinterest to make frozen water beads in balloons.  But these molds would be great for that. 
    2. They were easy to fill up and freeze.
    3. They are stack-able. 
    4. They are perfectly round.

Cons:
    1. You can only make 1 ball at a time.
    2. They don't fit into my water bottle but they do in my cup.

Filling up the mold:
1. Fill the water to the line that is on the base of the mold.

2. Place the lid on the mold.


3. Place them in the freezer.

4. To release the ball from the mold you are going to have to run water over the base of the mold and sometimes the top.  Usually I just have to do the bottom.


5. Pop your ball out of the base.



Since these balls are bigger the the others it only takes 2 to fill us a glass.  

Here you a picture comparing the 2 sizes. 




 Both of these molds have their pros and cons but I still really like them both.  There also fun for the kids to make!





* I do need to report that I did pay a discounted amount or got this item free in return for my honest opinion.  This review is strictly my own and not influenced in any way.
 









No comments:

Post a Comment