Thursday, June 16, 2016

My First Deer

So I used to pride myself on seeing deer before we get to them and warning the driver if I wasn't driving or slowing and watching for more deer if one has passed over the road.  For all my years of driving I have hit a cat, a few squirrels and bunnies, all small animals that don't really hurt the car.  Granted it usually killed the animal and I felt bad about it but I wasn't going to wreck my car to save one of the little creatures.  It's also been a long time since I've had a wreck at all.  A few days ago I wasn't so lucky.  I was taking my son to Boy Scouts when between 2 tree lines I caught a glimpse of something running. I literally thought it was a dog playing in the yard and by the time I saw it was a deer it saw me and jumped.  As it jumped I said a little prayer to help that little deer get over my car.  (Don't laugh I've had people tell me about seeing deer jump over cars to avoid them.)  I was so lucky.  The deer hit smack dab in the middle of the window and it shattered it.  Then landed in the grass on the other side of the road, jumped up and ran back the way it came.  The bad thing was I was going to go the back way because I like to go that way from time to time, but there was a big dump truck in front of me and he decided to go that way so I went ahead and went through town.  Granted it was one of those small down home towns but still, it was town.  I was doing the speed limit and I'm glad I did.  If I had been going faster the deer would have come in the window instead of just shattering it.  I did maintain my lane and was able to stop safely.  God was looking out for both of us because we didn't get hurt other then some glass in my foot.  The car didn't fair as well but at least there was no damage to the engine.
I was a bit upset the deer didn't die.  I wanted the head to mount.  It was a cute little buck.  I think it was a 2 or 4 pointer.  But it survived.






No comments:

Post a Comment